Tooth Abscess Treatment in Fairfax, VA
Helping to Keep Your Teeth Free of Infection
At Fair City Mall Dental Care, our top priorities are your continued dental health and comfort. Nevertheless, we know that sometimes complications arise, and you need extra help keeping your teeth free of infection. If you’re worried that you might have an infection, such as a tooth abscess, don’t hesitate to speak with our team. We’ll get you set up with an appointment as soon as possible, and our team will get to work providing you with top-notch care. Regardless of your current oral health, we’re glad that you’ve decided to trust our Fairfax, VA clinic with your smile.
What Is an Abscessed Tooth?
A tooth abscess is the result of a bacterial infection that causes a pocket of pus to develop within the tooth. Abscesses are typically very painful and require the intervention of an experienced dental professional. However, it’s important to remember that abscesses are not uncommon, and your local dentist can provide the treatment you need. Tooth abscess symptoms to watch for include:
- Severe toothache that doesn’t go away
- Toothaches that radiate to the jaw, neck, or ear
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Trouble breathing or swallowing
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
How an Abscess Develops
Abscesses develop when bacteria penetrate the pulp inside the tooth. These bacteria might enter through a cavity or crack in the tooth, causing swelling in the root. Tooth abscesses are common and happen to many people. However, some are at increased risk for developing these painful infections. You might be at risk for an abscess if any of these apply to you:
- You Exercise Poor Dental Hygiene: Poor hygiene is the easiest way to put yourself at risk for infection. Not brushing or flossing your teeth every day leaves them susceptible to damaging bacteria.
- You Deal with Chronic Dry Mouth: Those who struggle with dry mouth may also have an increased chance of tooth decay and abscesses. Talk to your dentist about ways to minimize the effects of dry mouth.
- You Eat Lots of Sugary Foods: Foods high in sugar, such as candy and soda, can result in more cavities, and therefore, more ways for bacteria to get inside the tooth.
Ways to Prevent Abscessed Teeth
Good news—there are plenty of ways to avoid a tooth abscess in the first place! At Fair City Mall Dental Care, we believe prevention is the best medicine, and we strive to educate you on ways to best protect yourself and your oral health. To minimize your chances of developing an abscess consider implementing these measures:
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Get a new toothbrush every three months
- Limit sugary foods and beverages
- Floss every day
- Use a fluoride mouthwash
- Schedule regular dental cleanings
Treating All Tooth Abscess Stages
Tooth abscesses are no walk in the park. But fortunately, treating them is quite simple. We perform routine tooth abscess treatments all the time, and you’ll have nothing to worry about in terms of discomfort and aftercare. After all, abscess treatment is supposed to relieve pain, not cause more! First, we’ll drain the infection and reduce swelling in the mouth. Then, in more extensive cases, we’ll complete a root canal to remove any infected pulp. Afterward, we may prescribe antibiotics to ensure that the infection doesn’t spread and continue causing you pain. Soon enough, you’ll be able to smile, eat, and speak without any mouth pain.
Don’t Wait to Schedule Your Appointment
Whether you’re dealing with a wisdom tooth abscess or another form of infection, the team at Fair City Mall Dental Care is here for you. Our dentists are dedicated to creating a comfortable environment for patients of all ages. After all, it’s never too early for dental care! If you’re worried that you may have a tooth abscess, give us a call, and our team would be glad to work you into our schedule. We have convenient opening hours, so just let us know what times work best for you. Contact us today for more information.
Why Choose Us?
- Convenient Early, Late, and Saturday Hours
- Same Day Emergencies Welcome
- Works Great With Children
- Fastbraces® Orthodontics – Fast, Safe, Easy & Affordable
- Provides Complete Dental Implant Services
- Complete Dental Care in One Office