Wisdom Teeth Removal in Fairfax, VA
Fair City Mall Dental Care Offers Wisdom Teeth Removal
Fair City Mall Dental Care performs wisdom teeth removal surgery for patients in Fairfax, VA. For some patients, wisdom teeth don’t cause any issues when they erupt later in life. For other patients, wisdom teeth cause pain and infection. Oral examinations and x-rays will help our experienced team determine the perfect time for wisdom teeth removal. For over 15 years, Fair City Mall Dental Care has provided the area with innovative dental services and high-quality care. We personalize our comprehensive dental services to meet your needs. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
What Are Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth typically appear during the teenage years through the early 20s. The third sets of molars erupt at the back of the upper and lower jaw. Wisdom teeth often cause issues because they overcrowd surrounding teeth, stay trapped in the gums, or cause painful infections. Though many patients need wisdom tooth removal, some patients never have issues with their wisdom teeth.
Why Remove Wisdom Teeth?
Wisdom teeth have a reputation for causing multiple oral health issues. Many patients need wisdom tooth removal to help prevent:
- Shifting Teeth – Wisdom teeth often erupt at unique angles, forcing teeth out of alignment.
- Overcrowding – Many patients don’t have enough space in their mouths to accommodate wisdom teeth.
- Infection – Impacted wisdom teeth catch food and bacteria, causing infection in the area.
- Root Damage – Impacted wisdom teeth sometimes damage the roots of surrounding teeth.
Signs You May Need Your Wisdom Teeth Removed
The first signs of wisdom teeth include swollen gums and tiny white specks behind your second molars. You may not notice wisdom tooth problems until later. The most common signs you may need wisdom teeth removed to include:
- Swelling and irritation around your gums
- Pain in your mouth, jaw, or gums
- Repeated infections
What to Expect During Wisdom Teeth Removal
We perform wisdom teeth removal under local anesthesia. The wisdom tooth extraction includes:
- Make an incision in the gum tissue
- Remove the bone that blocks access to the tooth root
- If necessary, divide the tooth into sections for easy removal
- Gently remove the tooth, preserving your bone and gum tissues
- Clean and sanitize the area
- Stitch and close the incision site
The Benefits of Tooth Extraction
The benefits of tooth extractions include:
- Helps Eliminate Pain – Many patients with oral pain have abscessed teeth or infections that have penetrated the root of the teeth, causing severe pain.
- Protects Surrounding Teeth – An infected tooth can quickly spread to other teeth, leading to tooth loss and infection of tissues and bones.
- Helps Prevent Further Treatment – By extracting the tooth or teeth causing oral health problems, we help prevent further dental surgeries and damage to the mouth.
After Your Tooth Extraction
After wisdom tooth extraction, taking care of the impacted area is essential. A blood clot forms over the site of your wisdom tooth extraction. If a blood clot doesn’t form or is clogged, you may experience a painful dry socket. You can prevent dry sockets by maintaining positive oral hygiene and refraining from brushing or eating around the area for a few days.
Contact Fair City Mall Dental Care
Our team of dental professionals will determine if it’s the best time for wisdom tooth extraction. We understand wisdom teeth can cause overcrowding and pain, so we’ll quickly and efficiently remove the problematic teeth. Fair City Mall Dental Care provides comprehensive dental solutions for the entire family. We’re here for you in your time of need! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Why Choose Us?
- Convenient Early, Late, and Saturday Hours
- Same Day Emergencies Welcome
- Works Great With Children
- Fastbraces® Orthodontics – Fast, Safe, Easy & Affordable
- Provides Complete Dental Implant Services
- Complete Dental Care in One Office