Cracked Tooth Repair in Fairfax, VA
Do You Have a Cracked Tooth? Call Us Right Away
Cracked teeth often come unexpectedly. Maybe you were injured during a sports practice, or perhaps you bit down too hard on a popcorn kernel. Whatever the case for you, Fair City Mall Dental Care is here to provide quick and compassionate cracked tooth treatment. We take pride in offering top-notch care to each of our Fairfax, VA patients, even on short notice.
Types of Cracks
Contrary to what you might think, there is more than just one type of crack that can occur in the teeth. At Fair City Mall Dental Care, we will identify the type of crack in your tooth and get to work creating a fix. Some common types of cracks include:
- Craze Lines: These tiny cracks are shallow and only damage the outer enamel. They are purely aesthetic concern.
- Fractured Cusp: A step up from craze lines, fractured cusps might break off and typically need to be repaired with a crown. However, the damage rarely affects the pulp.
- Treatable Cracked Tooth: This type of crack usually affects the entire tooth, from the chewing surface to the root. These cracked teeth need prompt root canal treatment in order to save the affected tooth.
- Split Tooth: Split teeth occur when a cracked tooth isn’t treated soon enough. They can’t be saved in their entirety, but we may be able to salvage parts of the tooth.
- Vertical Root Fracture: This type of crack begins in the root and spreads to the chewing surface. They are very difficult to detect, and by the time it’s noticeable, you may need endodontic surgery.
Is a Cracked Tooth an Emergency?
Yes, in many cases, cracked tooth pain can be considered a dental emergency. As such, it’s crucial to seek treatment as soon as possible. At Fair City Mall Dental Care, we always offer emergency time slots so you can get the care you need within hours.
How Can I Prevent a Cracked Tooth?
Sometimes cracked teeth aren’t avoidable. However, there’s still plenty you can do to prevent the need for emergency cracked tooth repair. The team at Fair City Mall Dental Care recommends the following precautions to minimize your chances of tooth damage:
- Avoid chewing or biting down on hard foods or objects
- Seek treatment for chronic clenching or tooth grinding (bruxism)
- Always wear a mouthguard when playing sports
- Schedule regular checkups so we can catch problems early on
How We Fix Cracked Teeth
There are several options for how to fix a cracked tooth. Depending on the type of crack and the extent of the damage, your dentist will recommend the most effective treatment for you. Popular methods for restoring a cracked tooth include:
- Crowns: These common dental restorations cover the entire break and look just like natural teeth. Crowns also allow for the preservation of most of the tooth.
- Bonding: For minimal cracks, we often recommend bonding. This simple procedure involves filling in the cracks with a tooth-colored composite material.
- Fillings: Fillings are the most common method of fixing a crack. Not only is this method painless, but it’s also affordable.
- Veneers: If you have several cracked or damaged teeth, veneers might be your best bet. These custom-made shells cover the exterior of the teeth and create a shining, natural smile.
- Root Canals: If the crack is severe and affects the pulp of the tooth, you’ll require a root canal. After removing the infected pulp, your dentist will cover the area with a crown.
- Dental Implants: This restorative option is the most extensive, but it also produces the most natural results. Dental implants are most often considered for patients with significant damage to multiple teeth.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
If you’re noticing cracked teeth symptoms, time is of the essence. While a small crack might not seem like a cause for concern, an untreated break can lead to greater problems and more extensive treatment. At the first sign of a cracked tooth, be sure to get in touch with Fair City Mall Dental Care. We’re proud to offer outstanding treatment to our patients in the Fairfax area. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.
Why Choose Us?
- Convenient Early, Late, and Saturday Hours
- Same Day Emergencies Welcome
- Works Great With Children
- Fastbraces® Orthodontics – Fast, Safe, Easy & Affordable
- Provides Complete Dental Implant Services
- Complete Dental Care in One Office