Sleep Apnea Solutions at Fair City Mall Dental Care
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder that makes it difficult to breathe properly while sleeping. This can cause disruption in sleep. Common sleep apnea symptoms can include loud snoring, gasping for air during sleep, waking up with a dry mouth, insomnia, and morning headache. When you are sleep-deprived, your quality of life can suffer. Disrupted sleep can cause health problems, irritability, and lowered energy levels.
Many people do not realize that a dentist can help with sleep apnea problems. If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea or you are experiencing sleep disruptions that you think might indicate sleep apnea, contact Fair City Mall Dental Care to find out if you may be a candidate for sleep apnea treatment options.
Types of Sleep Apnea
There are several types of sleep apnea. They can all cause sleep disruption. The types of sleep apnea include:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea – This is the most common type of sleep apnea. With this type, overly relaxed or enlarged throat muscles, enlarged tonsils, or an overbite can narrow the upper airway and make breathing difficult during sleep.
- Central Sleep Apnea – This type of sleep apnea is much more serious, as it is a condition where the brain fails to regulate breathing during sleep.
- Complex Sleep Apnea – This is a combination of both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Each type of sleep apnea responds to a different treatment. If you think you may have sleep apnea, contact Fair City Mall Dental Care for a screening.
Causes of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can affect anyone, but there are some factors that can increase your risk. Risk factors can include:
- Excess weight
- Thicker neck circumference
- A narrow airway
- Being male
- Being older
- Family history
- Alcohol, sedatives, or tranquilizer use
- Nasal congestion
- Medical conditions such as congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, or type 2 diabetes
Sleep apnea is more than just a slight disruption in sleep. It can lead to serious health issues. Treatment can help you manage your sleep apnea and get back to a good night’s sleep.
Sleep Apnea Treatment Options
If you suffer from sleep apnea, you may be surprised to learn that your dentist can help with treatment. Patients with obstructive sleep apnea can benefit from an oral appliance that works like a mouth guard to treat the symptoms of sleep apnea. A typical treatment for obstructive sleep apnea is a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine which the user wears at night to help open the airway and keep breathing consistent.
A dental appliance offers a less cumbersome alternative to the CPAP machine. The oral appliance worn at night is an FDA-approved medical sleep device that positions your lower jaw slightly forward to create a more open airway for easier breathing. An oral sleep appliance is prescribed by a medical professional and can only be delivered by a sleep dentistry provider. Your dentist and medical provider will work together to set you up with the treatment option that works best for you.
Why Choose Us?
Fair City Mall Dental Care provides emergency and general dental services in Fairfax, VA with personalized attention and care for your whole family. With over 15 years of dental experience, we offer the most up-to-date care with traditional, patient-focused service. We are committed to providing you with the most compassionate care in a relaxed atmosphere to make your dental experience comfortable. We have convenient office hours and participate with most insurances, including CareCredit financing options. Fair City Mall Dental Care offers a full range of dental services, including:
- Emergency dental care
- Wisdom teeth removal
- Children’s Dentistry
Contact Fair City Mall Dental Care
If you are looking for a dentist to help with your sleep apnea, get in touch with Fair City Mall Dental Care. Our friendly staff is ready to schedule your appointment or set up a free consultation. You can also contact us online by filling out our contact form.
Why Choose Us?
- Convenient Early, Late, and Saturday Hours
- Same Day Emergencies Welcome
- Works Great With Children
- Fastbraces® Orthodontics – Fast, Safe, Easy & Affordable
- Provides Complete Dental Implant Services
- Complete Dental Care in One Office